Monday, August 17, 2009
I have discovered that I love to teach. I assumed that I would enjoy showing others my techniques and exactly what I do to make my fabric collage pieces, but I didn't know how exciting it would be to turn a creative light on in someone. I am addicted to that. I aspire to inspire. If I can encourage one person who had walked away from art to walk back to it. ("Walk toward the light!") Or if someone who had never dared to be creative in the first place dares to sew two pieces of fabric together and it makes them smile...then I am a happy girl. In a world where we hear so many words of fear and despair everyday, I believe that we need the joy of art more than ever. To create is to make the world different, more exciting and beautiful, than it was a few moments earlier.
I have discovered that I love to teach. The in-person workshops that I am gearing up for big-time are about showing technique, sure...but they are intended to be so much more than that. Like I say on the workshop site...we're gonna
• Sit around the old "campfire" (ok so it's just the backyard of the studio) and exchange ideas and goals with your Studio Retreat posse.
• Let me guide you to open up your creative vision and discover your voice
• Fill you with the possibilities of all that combining art and life can be
• Help you discover or recover the "O'Keeffe" in you.
• Embrace the awesomeness of mistakes and see them for the gift they are.
•Learn to sing with mixed media at the top of your lungs.
I would love for you to join me at my beautiful new studio in Longmont, Colorado (just outside of Boulder.) I promise you all the how-to you can handle, but I also promise to inspire you...and you in turn will inspire me.
The schedule for Fall 2009 and all of 2010 is up at www.studioretreats.ning.com.
Grab a friend. Come hang out with me in my studio...because I've discovered that I love to teach.
Posted by KC Willis at 7:03 PM